Gossamer threads

Woven rug

Photo by Kevin Rosseel, from morgueFile

I’m delighted to have another chance to feature one of Rick Hardman’s poems. If you haven’t seen his Hornets in my head, be sure to check it out as well. Rick’s grasp of language and metaphor is evident in “Gossamer threads”. The threads of his life form an intricate pattern as he continues to spin new ones.

My life is constructed with gossamer threads.
Creating connections that float back a lifetime
Some of those threads are strong and vibrant
Sadly others are slack and ragged.
There is work to be done tending those filaments.
They are in fact, lifelines that reveal my success in life
For my true accounting has little to do with ledgers or sums but rather is really measured by connections
Though worthy of much gold
Their colours vary
Some of my favourites are green though the purple ones are special too
I ride those threads like a spider tending the wind. My destination as yet unsure
The journey is fine regardless
It’s time to generate some new threads, short ones mixing in with the long. Blended together
A vibrant weave is the result.
A hearty life too.

©2011 Rick Hardman

8 comments for “Gossamer threads

1. sterling haynes
    July 25, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Great poem Rick and I loved the Central American weaving too!

2. July 26, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Beautiful, thought provoking and I loved the imagery! “spiders tending the wind”.

3. July 26, 2011 at 3:28 pm

Rick’s poems always have verbal surprises that make me wake up and say, “Aha! Now I see things differently.”

4. Judith
    July 27, 2011 at 11:30 am

Thank you Rick ~ a beautiful reflection on your well constructed and connected life. I love the idea of creating and blending new threads.

5. Rick
    July 28, 2011 at 4:57 am

I have to thank Cathryn for providing such a supportive platform for all of us who value the written word. Your support and providing such a classy venue provides much encouragement. Writers need to be read and you provide that essential link. Thank You!

6. July 28, 2011 at 6:48 am

I’m so honoured to have talented people like you in my life – and on the blog.

7. August 1, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Really enjoyed the poem … thank you, Cathryn and Rick. The “threads” of life are indeed profound … what we weave may be mysterious at times, then suddenly, its form, its purpose, its beauty … is revealed. Magic at its finest. Have a good week! –Daisy

8. August 2, 2011 at 5:06 pm

You are another of the weavers in my life, Daisy. Thanks for the magic you bring to us all.