The good news is…hair grows

I figured I should get my hair cut pretty short so that it would be wash-and-go for my trip to Australia. I had a coupon for a nearby hair salon and walked over this morning to get my unruly hair tidied for the journey.

Women thrilled with the hair they were granted at birth are lucky. Most of us look in the mirror and see hair that is too something – too curly, straight, thin, thick. Curly hair is my lot in life.

The young hairdresser took a look at my curly grey mop and set to work. We had a thoroughly enjoyable conversation until I started getting nervous. “Leave some,” I pleaded.

Wild haircut

Wondering if I should laugh or cry, deciding on the former

“Just a little more here,” he replied, as he whacked at the tufts of hair that refused to obey whatever vision he had for them. Every cowlick half hidden by slightly longer locks leaped into view. No matter how short he cut the hair around them, they would not stop opening into distinct gaps.

I was sure his last act, once I finally conveyed sufficient alarm for him to stop, would be to brush the remaining hairs into some semblance of order.

I was wrong. He squeezed gel onto his fingers, rubbed them through what was left of my hair, and admired the results.  “Now it looks kind of butch,” he said, “much more modern.”

All the way home I alternated between laughing out loud and wishing I’d brought a paper bag to pull over my head. Last time I had such a short haircut was when a friend in Oakland sent me to her hairdresser. The guy was actually a barber, and he knew how to handle the locks of my African American friend. All he could figure out to do with mine was to shave them down to an only slightly feminine version of a crew cut.

Smoothed-down hair

Just as short, but I can live with this

When I got home and looked in the mirror, I laughed so hard tears ran down my cheeks. I snapped a couple shots for comic relief on the next bad day. Then I washed out the gel and combed what little hair I had into something I could live with.

Young hairdressers, trying to update us oldies. Gotta love ‘em.

And the good news is? Hair grows.

10 comments for “The good news is…hair grows

1. Marilyn Raymond
    February 2, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Oh Cathryn,
    This was so funny. I love you laughing so hard you cried over the young man’s modern ‘do’. You know how to roll with the cuts life sometimes inflicts. You can pull off a short short cut with your beautiful face and self confident flair, and it will be perfect for hot Australia. Have a wonderful trip. Hugs to Robin.

2. February 2, 2012 at 6:57 pm

I know I would probably feel exactly as you describe, but I have to tell you I LOVE what your hair dude created for you. Your revision might be what you know and what you are comfortable with, but the new “do” is very cool and appealing to those of us who don’t have history with you. If you ever feel like trying it on again I say “go for it”. BTW I am sure I am older than you.

Have an amazing adventure.

3. February 2, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Hmmm…there you go. Maybe I’ll whip out the gel and swoop it up and head off to Oz. I like your attitude, Sandy!

4. February 2, 2012 at 8:14 pm

I still laugh when I look in the mirror, but Sandy’s made me pause.

5. February 2, 2012 at 9:30 pm

WOW, Cathryn! He’s lucky you have a sense of humour! I think it looks great (without the gel LOL). Sure will keep you cool though. Reminds me of when I got my ONLY super-short hair cut when I was pregnant in Miami. Never ever again – but it was worth it to keep me cool. (:

Have a great trip!!!

Blessings,
    Brenda

6. Carrie
    February 2, 2012 at 10:01 pm

I’m with Sandy – it is awesome and you can totally pull it off. Not everyone could, but you can!

7. February 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I figure he saved me some money. Won’t need another cut for a long time. :-)

8. February 3, 2012 at 1:14 pm

The challenge is recognizing myself beneath the short do!

9. Alice
    February 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm

You look wonderful, anyhow. Just smile. My mom used to tell my brothers that if they just waited three days, their pretty rough haircuts at her hands would turn into great ones. I think they waited a lot of three days sometimes! Just smile. No one will ever notice whether you have hair or not ! Such a gorgeous smile!

10. Geraldine Bush
    February 4, 2012 at 3:58 pm

OMG, just as well that you have a great sense of humour! Remind me to stay way from that hairdresser! Happy landings, enjoy your long awaiting trip